About the Tobacco-Free Kids Action Fund
The mission of the Tobacco-Free Kids Action Fund is to improve health and save lives by reducing tobacco use, the number one cause of preventable death in the United States and around the world. We mount education, advocacy and electoral campaigns in support of public policies that prevent kids from smoking, help smokers quit and protect everyone from secondhand smoke.
To achieve our mission, we:
- Advocate for public policies proven to reduce tobacco use and exposure to secondhand smoke. These include higher tobacco taxes, comprehensive smoke-free laws, well-funded tobacco prevention and stop-smoking programs, and tough regulation of tobacco products and marketing.
- Encourage voter support for ballot initiatives to establish effective tobacco prevention policies (and oppose tobacco-related ballot questions that undermine public health goals or protect cigarette companies).
- Expose and counter the efforts of the tobacco industry to influence the political process and defeat tobacco control efforts.
- Educate the public about the positions on tobacco-related issues taken by candidates seeking public office at the state, local and federal level.
- Run aggressive independent campaigns and take other effective action to support tobacco control champions who are candidates for public office to the extent permitted by applicable laws.
The Tobacco-Free Kids Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization affiliated with, but separate from,
the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Learn more about this difference.